Monday, January 17, 2011

PF Chang's Rock and Roll Half Marathon

(Cue the Rocky theme song or Chariots of Fire because in reality I felt like I was running in slow motion... )
I completed my first half marathon and have pictures to prove it.  Sara - unfortunately there were too many people for Mr. ESPN to capture me crossing the finish line so we had to settle for this:

and this - our self portrait from his I-Phone. 

Some things I learned yesterday:
  • People are annoying - not that I didn't already know that.  For races they start you in "corrals" based on how fast you run.  If you are going to be walking in mile 1, you should not be lined up before me!  It was so annoying having to dodge slow people!  I blame them for not making my goal time!
  • Bring toilet paper to the next race - port-a-potties run out quickly when there are 30K runners ...
  • Although I may despise my alma mater's arch rival - there are times when I am thrilled to see it.  The race finished next to my arch rival's stadium.  I have never been so happy to see it!  Good thing I wore my Arizona hat (Mr. ESPN wore is Arizona shirt)!  It was also great that we beat them in basketball the day before the race!!  Go Arizona - Bear Down! 
  • People cheering you on as you run is awesome!  Especially when they are nice looking guys from Arizona who shout "BEAR DOWN - Go Wildcats" when they see your hat!
  • You can never put on too much anti-chafing stuff!
  • New play lists with suggestions from your friends is great motivation to keep running (thanks ladies!)!
  • The food and drinks post race are awesome!!  So much stuff for the runners!
  • We have the most amazing neighbors!  They kept our kids for us while we were at the race (we dropped them off at 6:00 am and didn't get home until 1:30 pm) and then heated up their spa so we could relax our sore muscles!!  Love them so much!!
  • I can RUN an entire half marathon and it is kind of addicting!  Mr. ESPN and I are already looking forward to next year.  He is even debating doing the whole marathon!  I don't think my feet can take 26.2 miles .... I think I will stick to the half.  Anyone want to join us?  It was 70 degrees here yesterday!!


8 comments:

starnes family said...

YOU ARE AWESOME!!!!!!!

So proud of you. You look great!

Dee Stephens said...

How exciting! Congrats! You do look awesome!I've always been a walker but am starting to run and Brad and are going do the Cooper River Bridge Run in the Spring.

Sara said...

Wooo-hooo!!!! So proud of you! And that picture will have to do :)

Did you ever get really tired and feel like giving up or was it fairly easy for you?? This is definitely one of my goals after I have this baby. So glad y'all did this and had fun doing it! That's the most important part. Way to go, lady!

Anonymous said...

So awesome girl! Way to go!!!

The Lenzers said...

you seriously freaking ROCK!!!! Um, let me start training yesterday and maybe I can make it by next year! SOSOSO proud of you cous-that is a major accomplishment

Momma to the A's said...

Congrats!! That is awesome and a big accomplishment! I love your observation that you can't use enough anti-chafing stuff. I would never of thought of that!! Hope you took Sunday off to relax!

FROGGITY! said...

you rock AND you look FABULOUS!! go girl go.

Merry Mack said...

Way to go Cindy!! You look AMAZING for someone who just ran 13.1 miles. I have friends that do this and they are addicting. I find it annoying, but I envy you, truly. You must be so proud.