(Cue the Rocky theme song or Chariots of Fire because in reality I felt like I was running in slow motion... )
I completed my first half marathon and have pictures to prove it. Sara - unfortunately there were too many people for Mr. ESPN to capture me crossing the finish line so we had to settle for this:
and this - our self portrait from his I-Phone.
Some things I learned yesterday:
- People are annoying - not that I didn't already know that. For races they start you in "corrals" based on how fast you run. If you are going to be walking in mile 1, you should not be lined up before me! It was so annoying having to dodge slow people! I blame them for not making my goal time!
- Bring toilet paper to the next race - port-a-potties run out quickly when there are 30K runners ...
- Although I may despise my alma mater's arch rival - there are times when I am thrilled to see it. The race finished next to my arch rival's stadium. I have never been so happy to see it! Good thing I wore my Arizona hat (Mr. ESPN wore is Arizona shirt)! It was also great that we beat them in basketball the day before the race!! Go Arizona - Bear Down!
- People cheering you on as you run is awesome! Especially when they are nice looking guys from Arizona who shout "BEAR DOWN - Go Wildcats" when they see your hat!
- You can never put on too much anti-chafing stuff!
- New play lists with suggestions from your friends is great motivation to keep running (thanks ladies!)!
- The food and drinks post race are awesome!! So much stuff for the runners!
- We have the most amazing neighbors! They kept our kids for us while we were at the race (we dropped them off at 6:00 am and didn't get home until 1:30 pm) and then heated up their spa so we could relax our sore muscles!! Love them so much!!
- I can RUN an entire half marathon and it is kind of addicting! Mr. ESPN and I are already looking forward to next year. He is even debating doing the whole marathon! I don't think my feet can take 26.2 miles .... I think I will stick to the half. Anyone want to join us? It was 70 degrees here yesterday!!